Top 10 ways to save on winter heating oil bills.
Home heating bills during the winter months impact your budget but by using these 10 smart tips and tricks, you can make great strides in saving money and make your home more energy-efficient:
- Get a heating system tune-up annually to maintain its energy efficiency, which helps you save on energy bills.
- Use ceiling fans to circulate warm air in the room.
- Have a plumber check for leaky faucets, showers and other plumbing systems. Those leaks can lead to more water loss and higher energy costs than you think.
- Seal windows and doors tightly to ensure that the warm air you’re heating isn’t escaping needlessly.
- Installing storm windows and screen doors will keep freezing temperatures outdoors.
- Get an annual chimney cleaning so that you can use your fireplace, rather than your heating system, to help heat your home.
- Change the air filters in your HVAC to help prevent blockages in the system which reduce efficiency
- Consider installing a new water heater. The latest tankless heaters can be up to 34% more efficient than the one you’re using now.
- You can save up to 10% per year on heating bills by installing a programmable thermostat and using it to program cooler temperatures when you’re not at home.
- Lower hot water temperatures to help reduce heating bills. 120 degrees is normally hot enough for most households.
Want to schedule your heating system tune-up? Or install a new energy-efficient heating system or water heater? Give your local Buckley team a call today!
Sources: The ECC is comprised of the New England Fuel Institute, the Delaware Valley Fuel Dealers’ Association, the Empire State Petroleum Association, the Massachusetts Oilheat Council, Oil Heat Comfort