What is a ductless mini-split AC system and is it right for you?
When you think about ways to cool your home, you probably think one of two options:
- Central air conditioning systems
- Or – if your home has no ductwork – window units
But there is a third home cooling option that just might be the best fit for your home: a ductless mini-split AC system. These compact, quiet systems consist of two components that connect through a small pipe in an external wall:
- The indoor air handler
- The outdoor condenseror heat pump
Ductless mini-split AC systems are extremely efficient, with most models having SEER ratings of 20 or more – well more than the required 14 rating and far higher than window units, which typically run in the 14-15 range. But efficiency is just one benefit of a ductless mini-split AC system compared to both window units and central air systems. You’ll also enjoy improvements in:
- Placement flexibility– Air handlers can be installed wherever you need them – including rooms with no windows. A single condenser can handle up to four air handlers, each of which can be sized to the room you need to cool.
- Cost efficiency– In addition to their high SEER rating, ductless mini-split AC systems give you the ability to create flexible cooling zones in your home, giving you unmatched control over how you spend your cooling energy (and dollars).
- Air quality– While air ducts in home HVAC systems must be cleaned regularly by professionals, ductless mini-splits AC systems have no ducts – which can drastically reduce the dust, bacteria, pollen, allergens and other air-borne nasties floating around in your indoor air.
- Ease of installation– It only takes about a day to install a ductless mini-split AC system, with only a small 3-inch pipe hole or two to show for the effort. There’s no need to remodel around ductwork, and no more lugging heavy window AC units out of your basement or attic.
- Environmental performance– With a ductless mini-split AC system you’ll not only save energy, you’ll also use a more ozone-friendly refrigerant called R410A.
Ductless mini-split AC systems can also be a great way to add supplemental air conditioning to your centrally-cooled home – in a renovation or addition, for example, or in a newly finished basement or attic.
Think a ductless mini-split AC system is right for you? Contact Buckley Heating & Cooling today! Our team can help answer any questions and handle all your installation needs.